treated like mugs or even worse may feel they
ARE being mugged on a daily basis! Much of what's required today's called 'engagement'. It's also referred to as 'discretionary effort'. This is the ability to get others to go the extra mile for the Team or others. Yet many people managers have little idea how to go about this. How could this be and what to do...?
- Many Managers don't understand the keys to Motivation
- They don't know their people enough to personalise it even if they did understand Motivation.
- They don't offer appropriate and genuine praise when it's due.
So what to do and where to start...? Yogi Berra once said "You can learn a lot just by looking". What he means is start to pay attention. Get to know your people (pay appropriate attention, develop a healthy curiosity) Nobody never got demotivated because their Boss surprised them by noticing their birthday, anniversary, great work, client feedback. Today this is called 'Employee Recognition' There are 5 simple rules:
- Understand what was done that deserves recognition
- Learn how it was done
- Who was involved in making this happen
- Who benefited by this being done
- Act on this quickly and in a positive way.
When you think about this, it's so easy. The choices are stark. People today expect this to happen. If you DON'T do this, you indirectly walk around with a mug like this one telling people things need to be done your way. Not very inspirational is it..?!
As more and more companies are taking Feedback/360's seriously you need to get with this programme or be seen as a dinosaur. When you do this you set yourself apart. The intangibles are great loyalty and people will want to work with you....If these principles would work for you it's safe to assume it will also for others.