I attended a seminar last year where Microsoft looked to his 10 Strategies as a means of 'navigating' these uncertain times. This was a very smart move. It was fresh, innovative and morover it was supremely relevant.
Here are the 10 Strategies Shackleton used as his Guiding Principles
- Never lose sight of the ultimate goal and focus on the short term objectives
- Set a personal example with visible memorable, symbols of behaviour
- Instill optimism and Self-confidence but remain grounded in reality
- Take care of yourself. Maintain your stamina and let go of guilt
- Reinforce the team message consistently- 'We are one, we live or die together'
- Minimise staff differences. Insist on courtesy and mutual respect
- Master conflicts, engage dissidents and avoid needless power struggles
- Find something to celebrate and something to laugh about
- Be willing to take the big risk
- Never give up, there's always another move
Your feedback on this most extraordinary and extravagant of men is most welcome.