Here's his list of 10 Principles
- Surround yourself with whatever talent the given enterprise requires
- Welcome, even encourage principled dissent
- Timing's not everything but often the difference between success and failure
- Exercise selective hearing during a contentious group discussion
- Unless absolutely certain be willing to grant benefit of the doubt
- Exhaust opponents by listening to them
- Appreciate effort but only reward performance
- Serve with malice towards none and charity towards all
- Lead with 'firmness in the right'
- When dealing with forceful personalities, focus on common interests
Much of what's espoused today is already enshrined here.
- Real conversations-'allowing' the truth to surface
- Tolerating differences- Today we call that diversity
- Smart Trust-erring where possible on the side of generosity
- Performance Management- Appreciate effort but ONLY reward performance...wow!
No wonder these people cast such a long shadow and are justifiably iconic.
Right now my favourite is #6, Exhaust opponents by listening to them. Let them talk their way into capitulation!
What's your favourite & why does it resonate with you?